Friday, May 28, 2010

Ain't Missin' Not a Single Thing

The air conditioner is on.

I've mentioned I live in Minnesota, and that I like winter. We had a bit of unseasonably warm weather here, and we turned the air conditioner on at home. It's not set real low, just cool enough that you don't sweat when you're inside.

It is on at the office, too. That one is set rather low. But it was so warm on Monday that by late afternoon, the office air conditioners couldn't keep the building cool anymore, and it warmed right up to 80.

However, I notice that all the men in the office still dress in slacks, and most of them still wear long sleeved shirts. Since the weather turned warmer, I've noticed the women have changed their dress style.

Then complain that they are cold.

I'm in favor of a comfortable workspace; if you dress appropriately, it is comfortable. Other than Monday afternoon, it's been a pretty predictable 69 degrees at work, which is fine for long pants (or a long skirt) and long sleeves. Yes, I know it's between 85-90 degrees outside.

But we don't work outside.

My wife said it best. "I can dress to be comfortable for my five minute walk from the office to the car, or I can dress to be comfortable for the nine hours I'm in the building."

I don't think I've ever been happier to have married a rational person.

Until another time,
Salt

3 comments:

  1. If the temperature at work was always kept at a "comfortable" temperature, then why am I wearing tank tops in the winter and sweaters in the summer?

    At our office at least, we are always dressing for the opposite season since they over do it with the heating/cooling system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you're dressing for the workplace, then, and not the outside.

    Today, I noticed someone changed clothes to leave after lunch. I don't know what they were leaving for, but it was MUCH more casual than work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been around 75 in the afternoon in my cubicle! I'm very unlikely to complain about being cold at work.

    I missed who got changed at lunchtime, darn it! :)

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

1. I will not permit personal attacks against me, or any other human being.
2. I will not allow profanity.
3. I will mock poor grammar/spelling, and will encourage others to do so. It's an English blog, not a "netspeak" blog.