Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Cry For Help, Look At Yourself

Critics drive me crazy.

The way I was raised, if you didn't have a better solution, you really have no right to go after the people implementing "bad" solutions. An example of this kind of behavior would be the Tea Party activists. Their rallying cries of "we're going to get spending under control" and "we're going to cut taxes" are just criticisms of government, not solutions to real problems.

The problems are very real. The solutions are not obvious. However, the screaming and clanging of bells tends to drown out the actual facts. I don't expect anyone besides me to actually read the budget of the United States Federal Government or the Statement of Public Debt, so I'll do my best to sum them up.

In the year 1998, the actual total budget authority (found in the 2000 Budget) of the US Government was about $1.6 trillion. Of that, about a quarter of a trillion was spent on interest. There was an actual surplus of about $69 billion. The actual debt stood at $5.5 trillion dollars.

To scale this back, suppose a household netted (after taxes) $35k. They have a mortgage (debt) of about $120k. They spent $6k on interest, but didn't pay down their mortgage at all.

In the year 2008, the actual total budget authority (found in the 2010 Budget) of the US Government was about $2.98 trillion. Of that, about a quarter of a trillion was spent on interest. There was an actual deficit of about $459 billion. The actual debt stood at $10.0 trillion.

Going back to our scaling example, our theoretical household is now a $60k household. They now have a $200k mortgage, and they just borrowed $10k to make ends meet (including paying about $6k on interest).

Pointing fingers (criticizing) is easy. Implementing change will be hard. No solution will be popular, because every good solution will be painful. Fixing the Social Security Ponzi Scheme will be an incredible task for any President. Health care is another issue that will likely be wrestled with again (and again).

Whatever mistakes have been made need to be corrected (without dwelling on the reasons the mistakes were made), and it's going to be more painful the longer we wait. In 1998, there was a budgetary surplus. For most of the 2000s, there was an actual deficit of $450 billion per year. The debt has climbed by over $1 trillion per year since 2008.

My solution would be to raise taxes, to reduce the deficit. Unpopular, yes. Would fix the problem? Also, yes. My original reason for looking up the budget was to find something to cut. Flat 10% across the board cut, and raise taxes. I don't have a solution. Before you vote this November (state and federal levels), please make sure the person you cast your vote for has a real solution, that addresses real problems; not just a "they screwed it up, elect me to fix it" platform.

I'd like to close with a statement from a Republican President (Theodore Roosevelt), on critics.
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat.
Until another time,
Salt

4 comments:

  1. A very well described summation. Too bad anyone willing to run on a common sense platform stands a snowball's chance of actually getting elected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious minds want to know what you are doing to enact change. Plenty of people can "challenge" things. We all do that just by our very existence.

    And I disagree. It's ok to criticize. We all have to have a voice. That is the starting point for joining with one another and - for lack of better words - rising up.

    I don't know how to fix things. But I sure have been trying, as a volunteer, hell, as a social worker.

    But you can't take away other people's voices b/c that is all they have at times. Just because you were raised that way doesn't mean you shouldn't question it. If it works for YOU fine.

    I happen to hate hipocrates...we all have our soapbox areas I suppose.

    Signed,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just saying, that criticizing alone is bad. If you criticize, and then offer solutions (which can be voiced, without being enacted), you're at least a half-step ahead.

    The ones that really get me are the people that go, "Wah! Taxes are unfair! Tax the rich more!" or alternatively, "Wah! Cut spending! We earned this and we want to keep it!"

    You know, maybe it's the ignorant critiques that bother me the most. The uninformed who try to shout down the voices of reason; they complain without offering solutions.

    And, because I promised to do so (see #3), you misspelled "hypocrites".

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, though, in calling me a hypocrite. I edited my post to include my solution.

    ReplyDelete

1. I will not permit personal attacks against me, or any other human being.
2. I will not allow profanity.
3. I will mock poor grammar/spelling, and will encourage others to do so. It's an English blog, not a "netspeak" blog.