Thursday, August 12, 2010

We Provide a Vital Service to Society

Just thinking about others can provide me a great deal of happiness.

For example, I was at the health clinic the other day. I drove myself there, and walked around the van parked in front of the entrance that was unloading people in wheelchairs. Instead of being annoyed at having to walk around, I was happy I could walk in rather than be pushed.

At the check in, the attendant asked me if my insurance had changed. I said it had not, and she informed me of the $20 co-pay. I could have been bothered by the $20 charge to have the doctor look at me and tell me I still have allergies, but I was just happy that I have insurance when others do not.

I was initially troubled that the traffic was bad on my way to work, but I reminded myself that I was there to go to my job. I'm sure there are people who would take this problem in exchange for their problems; I'll be happy having a job, thanks.

My daughter's fifth birthday party is upcoming, with a Princess Tea Party theme. I'm happy to be able to pick up a costume for her, without worrying what fabric it's made of; it won't irritate her skin. The thought of trying to track down gluten-free tea cakes does not cross my mind, 'cause it is a problem we don't have.

The logistics of a Disney World vacation are quite daunting, but it's really a problem (set of problems) I'm glad to have. The planning ahead, picking parks to go to, trying to decide where to eat (getting mealtimes that range from 4pm to 7pm for dinners), gaming the up-and-down prices on airline tickets. Then there's the stuff that happens right before the vacation, wondering what clothes to pack, how to ensure we're going to drink enough water, etc. Again, I'm sure it's a problem that many would trade me for.

When it comes down to it, looking up never makes me feel better. It's when I look around at the other people suffering the slings and arrows of outrageous fortunes, I see that I have plenty to be happy about.

Until another time,
Salt

6 comments:

  1. My grandmother always says "Nunca mirar hacia arriba, siempre mira hacia abajo" which translates closely to what you're saying here- "Never look up, always look down" ... never look to those who have more, but always look to those who have less. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog's title is a line from a song (as it usually is) whose title is (usually) related to the post; in this case, it's the German expression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great sentiment! And a good reminder. The next time I even think about complaining about work, I'll focus on remembering that I actually have a job. I am blessed. Sometimes I just don't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done. That's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...and when you get to Disney, you must see it through your children's wonder-filled eyes. Where they see magic, an adult can easily see a money-grubbing huckster. I only saw the real magic a year later, when my daughter was still talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they still talk about it a year from now. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete

1. I will not permit personal attacks against me, or any other human being.
2. I will not allow profanity.
3. I will mock poor grammar/spelling, and will encourage others to do so. It's an English blog, not a "netspeak" blog.